“You get what you pay for” may be a trite expression, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true. As a result of the Great Recession, many folks who graduated from law school during that time were unable to find jobs. As a result, they started their own firms without the benefit of experience or mentors. You should not only hire an attorney to represent your custody dispute, but you should hire an experienced family law attorney who only handles family law cases to make sure you are represented well.
Here are five good reasons that you should find a family law attorney who has the experience and knowledge to help you through your custody dispute situation:
- The dabblers do not have time to give your case the attention it deserves. “Dabblers” is the term we use to describe those attorneys who practice in areas like criminal defense and personal injury in addition to family law. Not only are dabblers not focused enough on family law to know all the ins and outs, but they are also often too busy to return your call or discuss strategies. The attorneys at RBL Family Law will return your call within 24 hours—we put it right in our retainer agreement.
- The money you save by either representing yourself or hiring a less expensive and less experienced attorney is not worth what you risk losing. We receive lots of inquiries from people who did not have good representation asking us to fix the problems that were created by people who did not know what they were doing. In some situations, we can’t help them because of legal restrictions such as a two-year waiting period to bring another custody modification case, or it is incredibly expensive to help fix the situation with no guaranty of a good outcome. Judges are not sympathetic to the excuse that you represented yourself or did not have a good attorney the last time around. You are still going to be required to show a change in circumstances that affect the child.
- Custody disputes are incredibly stressful. An experienced attorney can educate you and help reduce the stress. By allowing a professional to assist you, you can relax knowing that you are receiving good advice. Turning over the problem to an attorney who is not emotionally vested in your relationship with the other parent can take some of the pressure off you.
- If your situation involves issues of mental health, substance abuse, or special needs children, you need an attorney that has experience in dealing with those types of situations. Experienced attorneys are familiar with these unfortunate situations and can provide solutions that are borne of his or her accumulation of knowledge and skill.
- In a custody dispute, you need not only a cheerleader but also a coach. You need to get good advice about how to conduct yourself during the litigation process. Your behavior and judgment are of paramount concern to a court and/or a custody evaluator. An attorney who practices nothing but family law and has for a long time can provide you with suggestions and information that can help you have a successful outcome.
Atlanta Family Law Attorneys — Richardson Bloom & Lines
Your best course of action is to vet your attorney and make sure you and the attorney are not only compatible but also that your attorney will be responsive and has the experience to help you achieve your desired goal. It will be well worth the effort. At Richardson Bloom & Lines, we are invested in securing the best interest for you, your child, and your entire family. Contact us today to set up an appointment.